Social media can hurt your personal injury case without you even realizing it. The way we interact with each other has changed a great deal over the last decade because of the expansion of social media. For example, when looking to hire a personal injury lawyer, you may go to social media to ask for recommendations from friends you know and trust. Another example and one which you should avoid, is posting about an accident. Sharing details about yourself or what happened in an accident could be used against you by insurance companies.
Social Media Can Hurt Your Personal Injury Case
Approximately two-thirds of adults in the US use social media sites such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook according to the Pew Research Center. It may seem natural to share with your family and friends’ things that happen in your day to day life. However, be cautious in what you share on social media. In many instances, what you share on online can be used against you to dispute a personal injury claim. The Internet is often the first-place insurance companies look to investigate a claim. Your posts can be used against you to dispute the severity of your injuries, the day the accident took place and where.
Protect Yourself on Social Media
Here are a few things to avoid posting to protect your personal injury claim thereby helping your accident attorney to win your case.
- Status updates indicating you can participate in activities contrary to your injuries or treatment plan.
- Photos or videos of you engaging in physical activity that would disprove the injuries you claim to have.
- Photos of you drinking. This could indicate you enjoy alcohol and perhaps you were driving drunk.
- Never post anything that sounds like you admitting fault or anything that could cast doubt that you are partially to blame.
- Do not post about your finances.
- Avoid posting negative comments about the insurance company.
- Do not give information about when you return to work.
Also, be aware of what kinds of things your friends post about you and monitor this to help your case.
Hire Tri-Cities Personal Injury Attorneys at Parke Gordon
Let the personal injury attorneys at Parke Gordon assist with your case. Our law firm has handle many car accident, motorcycle accident, semi-truck accident and personal injury victims in Kennewick, Pasco, Richland and surrounding areas. We have the years of experience and aggressiveness you need to win your case. Call Tri-Cities personal injury attorney office Parke Gordon today at (509) 582-7274 for a free consultation.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case
Tri-Cities, Washington Law Office
Our Tri-Cities, Washington law office provides legal services to injury clients in and surrounding Tri-Cities, including clients injured in accidents in Kennewick, Pasco, and Richland, Washington. Visit or call our Tri-Cities office now.8905 W Gage Blvd, #200 Kennewick, WA 99336 Phone:(509) 582-7274