- Under the influence of any drugs or alcohol;
- In a reckless manner; or
- With disregard to the safety of others;
Then you are guilty of a felony known as vehicular homicide or vehicular assault. Committing such felonies could result in jail time, fines, electronic monitoring, or more. If you have prior charges for driving under the influence of any drug or alcohol, then you will have additional time added to your sentence for each prior offense.
Rather than commit a felony you should be a safe driver, not consume or ingest any drugs or alcohol, and obey all of the rules of the road.
The Rules of the Road stating the penalties for Vehicular Homicide and Vehicular Assault are as follows:
RCW 46.61.520: Vehicular homicide—Penalty.
- When the death of any person ensues within three years as a proximate result of injury proximately caused by the driving of any vehicle by any person, the driver is guilty of vehicular homicide if the driver was operating a motor vehicle:
- While under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug, as defined by RCW 61.502; or
- In a reckless manner; or
- With disregard for the safety of others.
- Vehicular homicide is a class A felony punishable under chapter 20RCW, except that, for a conviction under subsection (1)(a) of this section, an additional two years shall be added to the sentence for each prior offense as defined in RCW 46.61.5055.
RCW 46.61.522: Vehicular assault—Penalty.
- A person is guilty of vehicular assault if he or she operates or drives any vehicle:
- In a reckless manner and causes substantial bodily harm to another; or
- While under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug, as defined by RCW 61.502, and causes substantial bodily harm to another; or
- With disregard for the safety of others and causes substantial bodily harm to another.
- Vehicular assault is a class B felony punishable under chapter 20RCW.
- As used in this section, “substantial bodily harm” has the same meaning as in RCW 04.110.
Experienced Personal Injury Attorney on Your Side
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident or wrongful death, you need a personal injury attorney on your side. The attorneys at Parke Gordon Law Firm believe that everyone, not just the large insurance companies deserve an experienced and knowledgeable attorney on their side. Call Parke Gordon Law Firm today at 509-582-7274, for a free consultation to discuss your injury case.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case
Tri-Cities, Washington Law Office
Our Tri-Cities, Washington law office provides legal services to injury clients in and surrounding Tri-Cities, including clients injured in accidents in Kennewick, Pasco, and Richland, Washington. Visit or call our Tri-Cities office now.8905 W Gage Blvd, #200 Kennewick, WA 99336 Phone:(509) 582-7274