Attempting to pass another vehicle creates a risk of a car accident for yourself and others on the road. Unless passing is completely necessary because of a slow-moving vehicle in front, avoid making unnecessary traffic maneuvers or continuously changing lanes or passing other vehicles. The following are a few rules for passing another vehicle you should keep in mind to avoid a possible car accident.
When to Pass
- When it is necessary to pass, the law requires you to only pass on the left (using the left lane). Only pass on the right when absolutely necessary to avoid a traffic hazard and only when it is safe to do so.
- When passing a motorcycle, remember to give the bikers the same full land width as other vehicles. Never drive in the same lane as the motorcyclist.
- The law requires you to signal at least 100 feet before changing lanes.
- Before attempting to pass on a two-lane road, check pavement markings and signs to be sure it is legal to pass.
- If another vehicle is attempting to pass you, be courteous by slowing down a bit and allowing them to safely pass.
- Check your mirrors and look over your should to be sure traffic is clear before attempting to pass.
When NOT to Pass
A DO NOT PASS sign is on the roadway.
- The center line on the roadway is a double solid yellow line or there is a solid yellow line on your side.
- Passing a vehicle traveling at or above the posted speed limit. In order to pass, you would have to go at least 10-15 miles per hour faster.
- There is not enough time to pass the vehicle in front of you and return safely to your lane before confronting oncoming traffic within 200 feet of your vehicle.
- You are within 100 feet of a bridge or railroad crossing.
- You are behind a school bus that is loading or unloading children.
To read and understand more Washington State Rules of the Road, click here.
Car Accident Attorneys and Auto Accident Lawyers in Tri-Cities, WA
Don’t wait to call the car accident attorneys and auto accident lawyers at Parke Gordon Law Firm in Tri-Cities. Call our law office now at (509) 582-7274 for a free consultation. This is your opportunity to discuss your case with an experienced and trusted car accident attorney during a free case review. Our car accident attorney in Kennewick is conveniently located at 8905 West Gage Blvd, Suite 200. We can take the stress out of a claim and we’ll fight to get you full value for your car accident injuries. Our law firm believes every client deserves fair representation, not just big insurance companies with deep pockets. Call the law office of Parke Gordon Law Firm today to get started on your car accident case.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case
Tri-Cities, Washington Law Office
Our Tri-Cities, Washington law office provides legal services to injury clients in and surrounding Tri-Cities, including clients injured in accidents in Kennewick, Pasco, and Richland, Washington. Visit or call our Tri-Cities office now.8905 W Gage Blvd, #200 Kennewick, WA 99336 Phone:(509) 582-7274